Lincoln

Lincoln
Photo: Andrew Gehl

Friday, June 18, 2010

Holden Village





I should do a little shout-out to Holden Village.....

As many of you know, a number of us either are at Holden Village (imagine Lincoln, but four hours away from the nearest town!) or will be soon. Ashley started an 7 month volunteering stint on about a week ago. Elise joined her about three days ago.

As far as I know, Ashley is the head of laundry services until September, at which point she will change to the job she originally applied for (working in the craft den - weaving, knitting, etc.)

Elise is serving in a short-term position until at least the middle of July. I don't really know any details, but I know she is working with children.

I will join Ashley (and maybe Elise, depending on what she thinks of it) on August 21st. I'll be working in the kitchen as one of the head cooks.

I have also heard from some of you that Holden may be something you would consider doing for either a short- or long- term period. If so, feel free to get into contact with any of us (either through commenting on this blog, Facebook, or e-mail) if you have any questions!

Ashley and Elise - feel free to post to this blog regarding your experiences out at Holden! I, for one, would love to know what to expect. And it may aid others in their decisions whether or not to apply.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Chance and other people reading this:

    Holden is pretty amazing. So beautfiul. Every single person here, I want to be best friends with. What I mean by that is, all of the people here just look...more human. But I've decided to stay low-key this time and focus on writing and working with the lil chillen. So no new best friends, yet.

    Ashley might be a better reporter of how holden is so far, since I've only just been here for a couple days and I'm still recovering from visiting my friend in Seattle. But we will try to keep everyone updated as best as possible.

    I will also try to keep my own poetry blog going and get rid of this writer's block.

    PS- yay for dream journal. I feel like I haven't had any good ones in a while but I will try to force some out of my brain and into my dreams.


    Love to all,

    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poetry blog! Neato bandito! If you get it started, you should post the link here!

    And tell Ashley to get on here and write an update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://elisehasfingernails.blogspot.com/


    I will tell her. Also, I read your letter to her (and kind of to me, haha). It was really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That letter was so embarrassing to write.

    ReplyDelete