Lincoln

Lincoln
Photo: Andrew Gehl

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Bit of Nostalgia, or: I Haven't Had a Dream, So I'm Posting This Instead

I haven't been able to remember my dreams for a while now. I mean, for all I know they are about Oregon, but they all flee to the far corners of my mind as soon as I wake up, so I've got no idea. However, I assume if they were about Oregon I'd be both happier and sadder when I woke up. As it is, I'm pretty much just like, "whatever, lets get this over with." Okay, that may be an exaggeration. Also, this isn't what I wanted to say. All of this is superfluous/extra material--I know, I know; most of the time extra material goes at the end of something, but I'm trying to shake things up and, hell, I felt like writing this first.
What I really want to say is something that won't seem too great, or profound, or revealing, or any of that other good shit that would make me feel better about saying it. What I really want to say is this: I miss you.
Andrew and I went back to Oregon for a couple of weeks--Mike came down for the second of those weeks which, let me tell you, was one of the great moments of this past year--and worked with Doug and some other Ye Olde OE students on the mountain. If you're thinking how great that sounds, let me tell you something: it was. After that, we--Andrew and I--headed up to Seattle and flew from there to London. For the next month and a half or so we backpacked around Europe. One of the things we talked about from the flight out to the flight back was how it felt weird to be returning to our "homes" and not to Oregon. We felt like we should be going and telling our stories to all of you, to Doug, to Nancy and John, to Greg and to Heather, to all of you who, when it comes down to it, really understands us better then our biological families do. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and my brother, but it's fucking strange to be here. It's fucking strange that I'm not with you.
So, I understand that Holden has been a place where people keep on going to. Ashley, Elise, Chance, and I heard that Kasey may be going in the spring. If the people I love are going out there, then I'm coming to. Also, when are we going to start our own community?
I'll make lemonade and cookies.
Now I am going to go to sleep. Hopefully I will dream of you. If not, know that I think of you all every day, and when I'm not thinking of you, I'm usually thinking of whether or not pelicans are cute or scary.

Sam

1 comment: