Lincoln

Lincoln
Photo: Andrew Gehl

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I am beginning to question the management of Bizarro OE

I had a dream last night, so as not to feel left out.

I was at the Oregon Extension, even though it didn't really look like the one we knew. A new semester was starting, so it was filled with lots of newcomers, but I, having already been to the OE once before (you might remember that), felt very confident and I made jokes and congratulated myself on being funny and comfortable in the place while I met some students and shook some hands. It made me wish that I could always be like that at the beginnings of semesters and other endeavors, instead of being so insecure and stupid and – though my dreaming self didn't think of this at the time – depending for the first month on Andrew Gehl's compassionately loud encouragements at my attempts at humor. Remember that? I was grateful, Andrew.

Eventually I started to panic because I realized that I was in Oregon for a second time and I didn't even know if that was allowed or whether it would be helpful, but the point is that it was actually a pretty stupid dream because nobody from our OE was even in it – students or professors.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "If no one from what we knew as the OE was there, where do you even get off calling it the OE? Don't you know, Matt, that it's not the name that makes that place what it is, but it's all the people that are there? Without the friends and mentors that we know and love, 'OE' is just two meaningless letters with no connection to anything in reality." And I'm all like, "I totally know that, but clearly whoever is running Bizarro OE does not and that is unacceptable."

2 comments: